Saturday, January 9, 2010

One thing I learned...

is that when I have the notion to do something then just go ahead and do it. Most times, I wait on other folks to come with me and what happens? I end up missing out.

Like that time I wanted to go see one of my favorite ol' skool hip-hop artists, Rakim, for my birthday. Well, I waited for folks to make up their mind and I ended up missing out and not going. Or, that time I wanted to see Celia De La Cruz (spelling), the Latin singer. No of my friends wanted to go hear her sing because they didn't know anything about her. And, what happened? I didn't go and ended reading how people were dancing in the aisles, and she later died...so, I'll never be able to see her perform. Or how about that time I did see Common in concert, and he pulled me onstage and rapped to me personally, but shortly afterwards my friend was ready to go. So, I didn't see the end of the show and I never, ever get a chance to get out of the house. And, I probably won't ever get the once in a lifetime opportunity to be pulled on stage by a hottie like Common! I missed out on Maxwell and India Arie... Okay, you get the point.

Well, I was going to talk myself out of going to see a folk group that I've never heard of called Chocolate Drops. I was intrigued by their advertising picture. I wanted to go, but I didn't want to drive almost an hour to go see them. But, on the other hand, it was only ten bucks. Then again...blah, blah, blah...another excuse.

However, I did go and I took my daughter and Granny with me. That show was AMAZING! It was the best spent $10 in a long time! They not only presented folk music with humor and personality, but they gave us a little history of the song and some of the instruments.

I am so glad that I didn't miss out on the opportunity of seeing them. Memo to self: experience life even if its by yourself!

1 comment: