Wednesday, June 30, 2010

So, I told my gurl Erica that I wanted her to be in charge of making sure that I danced in a cage before my 40th. Promptly, she opened her day planner and without looking up said, "Done. We can do it on June...." That was it. Just like that. I asked Erica because she is young, full of life and truly knows how to have a good time. Trust me, I live vicariously through her Facebook photos.


The night started out with a blast at the Queen City Dancing Queen Prom. We had a fundraiser to help provide scholarships for those who need a little help. The attendance was low, but we had a blast. Plus, my special friend came and that meant a lot. But afterwards, the real event began...

Just like college days, a group of us piled up in a car and headed to the "spot." We fed our growling stomachs and laughed at all the private jokes. All in all, it was about 12 of us. Someone mentioned shots and that was foreign to me. "You don't do shots? You haven't taken a shot?" I hated to perpetuate any stereotypes so I kept my mouth shut from explaining that black folks don't often take shots. We like to buy one drink and hold on to it for the rest of the evening. "A shot is too fast to be spending all that money on," is what I pictured a sista saying with a hand on one hip and a roll of the neck. So, they got a shot or two for me. And yep, it works...trust me.

Just like Lil' Mama rapped, "Shawty was gettin' loose!" We slipped downstairs where the club was and took over the dance floor. Hesitation to approach the cage was wearing on me. Should I? But that's what I came here for, right? It's on my list! Soon, the right song hit and me and Diana, another dancer went in together.

I (and we) was (were) working the cage like a pro. No really, I was because someone said that. "You've done this before!" Uh no, I hadn't, but I've taken four pole dance classes at Tease Fitness! So, that's how I was able to move, but the shots helped me to relax and not be so self-conscious.

Finally, I was without inhibition and felt free to move about without the caring about any googley eyes. I can definitely mark it off my to-do list, but I just may have to add it again...just for the heck of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment